Pier 70 Area: Bethlehem Steel Office Building - Building 101
The Bethlehem Steel Office Building - Building 101 stands at the corner of 20th and Illinois Streets, marking the corner and the entry to the shipyard. Designed by preeminent San Francisco architect Fredrick H. Meyer and built in 1917, the building is Classical Revival in style. It has three stories containing 56,268 square feet. An iron perimeter fence frames the entrance to this building and originally extended down both 20th and Illinois Streets.
Building 101 was designed as a new main office building in 1917, to accommodate the "enormously increased business of the Potrero plant and its branch across the bay," in Alameda, according to the San Francisco Chronicle. It is currently vacant and was last used in 1992.
The content contained in the Port Web site has been prepared solely for the purpose of providing information about the Port and the Pier 70 area. The Port makes no warranties or guarantees of any kind, regarding its operation or the completeness of the content on its Web site or any other Web site to which it links. To the extent permitted by law, the Port disclaims all warranties from users of this Web site. The Port, its Directors and its employees, will not be liable for any damages of any kind arising from the use of information from this site or any site to which it links