The Port issues permits for a variety of building and encroachment uses within the Port's jurisdiction. Permits may be issued for building and street construction, filming, special events, street performances, and temporary no-stopping/street parking. The Port also issues licenses for the Street Performers Program and Shared Spaces Program.
Street Parking Permits includes applications for filming, events that require street closures or include food trucks, construction that requires street closures or detours, and temporary no-stopping signage.
Applications may be submitted electronically and may also be submitted in person at Pier 1. Depending on the scope of work, the process may require approvals from additional City agencies with regulatory concerns.
The Port Permit Desk is open to visitors on Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. Appointments are not required. Electronic submittals via email/ portable USB flash drive is strongly encouraged.
Instructions for electronic submittal:
Step 1: Submit your application via email
- Email a complete permit application to email@example.com
- You will receive confirmation of receipt, an assigned permit application number, and a link to a Microsoft SharePoint folder to upload your documents. Follow the prompts to request verification code for Sharepoint. Enter the verification code to authenticate your access to the folder.
Step 2: Upload documents into SharePoint
- Plans must comply with the minimum submittal guidelines. Submittals include but are not limited to: plans, structural calculations, cut-sheets, specifications, etc.
Step 3: Plan Review & Fees
- A preliminary review of the application and plans will be processed.
- Invoices will be emailed to the applicant. Applicants must pay invoice with a credit card or check during permit desk hours.
- Plan review comments will be updated in Accela and communicated via email.
- Revisions must be uploaded into your SharePoint folder.
Step 4: Permit Issuance
- Applicants will be notified via email when the permit has been approved.
- A copy of the permit and approved plans will be uploaded into SharePoint for applicants to access, download, and print.
A Port building permit application is applicable to piers, wharfs, seawall lots and Port-owned buildings.
Trades permits (electrical, mechanical, and plumbing), as well as fire alarm, fire suppression systems, and sprinkler permits shall be submitted via the Port building permit application.
An encroachment permit application is applicable to public rights-of-way, typically in a non-leased area such as sidewalks and streets.
Temporary Occupancy, sidewalk replacement, general/ utility excavations, vaults, and wireless service facilities are some of the examples that shall be submitted via the Port encroachment permit application.
- Port Encroachment Permit Application
- Port Encroachment Permit Application - Time Extension Request
- Port Excavation Bond Form
- Port Night Noise Authorization Form
You must apply for a Special Traffic Permit if you cannot comply with the construction regulations specified in the Blue Book.
Note: Section 110A of the 2019 Port Building Code (PBC) has been completely revised as of the 2019 Port Code Adoption
Port Planning & Development
- Review the Cost Schedule of Building Valuation Data
SF Public Works Permit Fee Schedule - effective July 1, 2021
Building Permit Group
- Chief Building Inspector Neil Friedman, firstname.lastname@example.org, 415.274.0564
- Permit Technician Bettina Perez, email@example.com, 415.274.0554
- Alan Gin, firstname.lastname@example.org, 415.274.0589
- Arnel Prestosa, email@example.com, 415.274.0627
- David T. Hu, firstname.lastname@example.org, 415.274.0463
- Ken Chu, email@example.com, 415.274.0593
- Peter Luong, firstname.lastname@example.org, 415.274.0595
- Raman Singh, email@example.com, 415.274.0679
ADA Title II Accessibility
Wendy Proctor, firstname.lastname@example.org, 415.274.0592
Real Estate Review
Dominic Moreno, email@example.com, 415.274.0597
Planning & Environment Review
SF Fire Department (Port)
Plan Review Services
Resources and references to Port's Building Code, regulations, and programs that require plan review.