Pier 70 Area: Union Iron Works Machine Shop - Building 113-114
The Union Iron Works Machine Shop was built in 1885-1888, and is the earliest remaining structure at the Pier 70 site. The building measures 492' long by 175' 6" wide by 62' tall, and contains 89,686 square-feet of floor space. Building 113 comprises 81,964 square feet of this under a high, single gable. Building 114 comprises only 7,722 square feet beneath the southern gable of the double gable portion.
Building 113 changed functions and floor plans several times between its construction in mid-1880s and WWII. The western portion originally housed the Machine Shop, while the eastern portion contained the Blacksmith and Boiler Shops. By 1945, the entire Building served as a Machine Shop. Building 114 served as the Foundry Furnace Building. A connector building was added in 1914. The building is vacant and red-flagged with significant structural problems.
The content contained in the Port Web site has been prepared solely for the purpose of providing information about the Port and the Pier 70 area. The Port makes no warranties or guarantees of any kind, regarding its operation or the completeness of the content on its Web site or any other Web site to which it links. To the extent permitted by law, the Port disclaims all warranties from users of this Web site. The Port, its Directors and its employees, will not be liable for any damages of any kind arising from the use of information from this site or any site to which it links.
New 2006 120-minute Port video of Building 113-114 for HABS Survey (C. VerPlanck, architectual historian and B. Kneeland, from SF shipyard). NOTE: DOWNLOAD ONLY. 175 Megs. Windows Media File; Mac users may need first download Flip-4-Mac.