Pier 70 Area: Powerhouse - Building 102
The Powerhouse fronts 20th Street. Along with Building 101 to the west and Building 104 to the east, it creates a strip of architect-designed buildings at the entrance to the shipyard. It was designed by San Francisco architect Charles Peter Weeks and built in 1912. This tall, rectangular concrete building has a hipped roof clad with straight mission tiles. It measures 128' 6" long, by 42' 4" wide, by 48' tall, and contains 8,428 square-feet over the first floor and basement.
Originally constructed as a powerhouse, Building 102 functioned as a both as a generator of power for non-electrical equipment and as an electrical substation that transformed and distributed electrical power. Currently it continues to serve some of the electrical needs of BAE Systems.
The content contained in the Port Web site has been prepared solely for the purpose of providing information about the Port and the Pier 70 area. The Port makes no warranties or guarantees of any kind, regarding its operation or the completeness of the content on its Web site or any other Web site to which it links. To the extent permitted by law, the Port disclaims all warranties from users of this Web site. The Port, its Directors and its employees, will not be liable for any damages of any kind arising from the use of information from this site or any site to which it links.